The Scariest Time of My Life.... So Far

The plan my specialist had for me, was far from what I ever thought I would go through. The last visit that I had with my doctor, he dropped a bomb on me....He told me that the next step that he thought would be best, would be SURGERY. Now, I got so frightened from the HSG test, surgery really, really freaked me out!

He wanted to do a laparoscopic surgery to remove the scar tissue, and try to readjust the position of the ovary that always seemed to be missing, just check out everything else. As freaked out as I was, I was glad to be making leaps, as to where I felt I was only taking baby steps before. So this was in December, that I found out that surgery was my next step. I had the surgery on January 25, 2011. It was definitely an experience. I was unbelievably nervous the morning of. We had to be at the hospital at like 5am. Which was good, because the day of the surgery I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything. There were so many things regarding the surgery that scared the life out of me. First of all, the IV. I don't know why this scared me so bad. I am not scared of needles at all. But the thought of being stuck in the top of your hand, just really freaked me out. And I guess too, I remember my grandparents being sick in the hospital all the time and seeing those bruises left from the IV's and it just always stuck in my mind.

So of course they call me back, and I ask if Joey can come back, and the nurse says, "oh I will come get him once I get your IV started"... So I think my blood pressure sky rocketed at that point. One of the major things that I was nervous about I would have to face alone. But we went back and I got changed into my fashionable garb, and then got to lay in a bed. The last thing I was, was relaxed. Then the nurse put my IV in... And it was nothing. She actually numbed it first, and so there was pretty much no pain. Soon after that, Joey got to come in the room and wait with me. They took my blood pressure and could tell I was super nervous, because it was much higher than the previous day.When the anesthesiologist came, they told me that they where about to take me back, and that before they put me under, they were going to give me something to relax me. They told me I would feel a cold rush up my arm, and I did, and then instantly, I lost all signs of nerves. I felt loopy really. The last thing I remember was making a joke to one of the nurses and Joey about making Joey drink some Magnesium Citrate....(the laxative I had to drink the day before). And then they started wheeling me back. I think I remember entering the operating room, but I can't be sure...

The next thing I know, I am waking up in recovery. It was a little confusing. Mostly because I had a blood pressure cuff on that kept constantly checking my blood pressure. Plus a breathing mask, and the monitor that you have to wear on your finger. But as soon as I opened my eyes, I tried to look at the clock to see what time it was. I knew about how long the surgery was supposed to take it everything went ok. But my vision was blurred. Which at first scared me too. But then I remembered that I of course did not have my contacts in. So then, I immediately tried to see how much pain I felt. Because the doctor wanted to do the surgery laparoscopicly, however it was possible that it would have to be done as a laparotomy. Which would have meant that they would have to make an incision. Which would mean I would take longer to recover, and I would have to spend the night in the hospital. I think that I was so confused that I couldn't really tell how much pain I was in. Then, a nurse appeared and asked me how bad my pain was, and what I wanted to drink. As soon as she said drink, I realized how sore my throat was. I heard this would happen, from the
tube they use when you go under. I immediately asked her what time it was, and thankfully only an hour and a half had passed by. Then Dr. Servy came by, and even though I still really felt out of it, he told me everything went well, and he would see me in a couple of weeks. So I figured that I was going home soon.

Then they took me to a room, and I had to sit up in a chair. I really had no pain in my stomach, but all of a sudden sharp pains went shooting through my shoulders. The nurse said it was normal and would go away once I laid flat.... I was like, let me lay flat then!!!! But Joey and my mom came in the room with me, and Dr. Servy had already talked to them. I was for sure going home soon. The nurse told me all I had to do was empty my bladder, and then I could leave. All I wanted to do was sleep!But Joey kept waking me up and making me drink, so that we could go home. Luckily soon I was able to empty my bladder, and we got to go home. I don't really remember much after that. I slept in the car on the way home, and went straight to bed.
I just woke up every hour or so, and had to have Joey help me to the bathroom. And then to take more pain meds too. Later that night I got up and sat up for a little while, when his parents brought us dinner. But then it was straight back to bed.

The next day I was able to remove my bandages, and shower. So I decided to take a shower. Halfway through, I got extremely dizzy, and couldn't hear anything. I had to squat down to my knees and sat there, until I was able to get up and get out. I couldn't yell for Joey, because my voice isn't really loud anyway, plus my throat was still so sore. But I managed to get out of the shower, and make it to the bed. Joey came in to check on me and saw that I was still in my towel and helped me get dressed and back in bed. I pretty much stayed in bed the next two days. But by the end of the weekend I was much better. I returned to work the following Monday, and even though it wasn't easy, I got back into the swing of things! I had one more week until I had to go back to the doctor, and I honestly had no idea what was going to happen. I dreaded having another ultrasound, but knew most likely I would have to. But I tried not to get too worked up about anything, after all I just had surgery. What could be worse?


  1. Thanks for sharing your story! Even though I'm not sure if I have PCOS (don't really think I do) I feel for those of you that do have it and have to deal with all that goes with the disease. I'm sure your story will help many! =)

  2. Thanks for reading! I hope to help others!